What You Can Expect at North South Jiu Jitsu
Classes that run on time and are structured to help you learn in a safe, fun way.
You are able to take the classes at your own pace, you’re never forced to participate in any part of class that you aren’t comfortable with. Sparring is encouraged, but always optional and up to the individual. The instructors in class make an effort to know every student and will always answer any questions that they may have.
We have classes for beginners, advanced students, and competitors. Although most student will never compete, we run a great team program that has already produced many gold medals for our students.
We pride ourselves on making the gym a place where everyone is welcome to flourish in their own way, and we look forward to helping you start your own!
What Is Jiu Jitsu?
JIu Jitsu is a martial art that focuses on getting your opponent to the ground, where you can control the match, until you can achieve a submission. To see more about the background follow this link:
Since then, Adam has traveled around the country learning from the best teachers the sport has to offer, such as Andre Galvao and the Mendes brothers. After moving to Brooklyn, NY he found a great home at Clockwork BJJ under the tutelage of Josh Griffiths.Adam has enjoyed much success as a competitor, but more importantly his most cherished accomplishments and great relationships have been found through Jiu Jitsu. He met his future wife, Karen Miller, at Clockwork where their love of Jiu Jitsu expanded into love for each other. Together they have a beautiful daughter Josephine.
It is these relationships that Adam believes are the most important aspect of the sport and hopes to continue to grow them at North South Jiu Jitsu. As a teacher, he strives to make positive connections with the people he trains with daily.
- 3x IBJJF PAN AM medalist Lightweight Adult (Blue Belt weight and Absolute & NOGI Weight)
- Abu Dhabi World Pro trials Champion Adult Lightweight (Brown Belt)
- IBJJF Masters II Lightweight World Champion (Brown Belt)
- IBJJF NY BJJ PRO Lightweight Adult Champion (Brown Belt)
- IBJJF Boston Open Lightweight Adult Champion (Purple Belt)
- Big Apple BJJ 2x Champion (Purple/Brown Belt)
- IBJJF NYBJJ Pro Lightweight Master II Silver ( Black Belt)
- 2018 Superfight Champion Black Belt
- Multiple times Grapplers Quest Champion Gi and NOGI(all belt levels)
- NAGA Advance Adult NOGI Champion
- Multiple times IBJJF medalist (all belt levels)
- Multiple times Abu Dhabi Pro Trials Medalist (all belt levels)
- Student of the year award MBJJ
Additionally, she taught co-ed and mixed level classes for her instructor. She loves to watch students change through BJJ through weight loss, improved skill, belt promotions, competitions, or in the confidence they gain from doing Jiu Jitsu. In 2010 she moved to New York City to train with Josh Griffiths at Clockwork Jiu Jitsu, receiving her black belt a year later. In addition to teaching classes, Karen also offers private teaching for those students who enjoy one-on-one lessons.
It was at Clockwork that she met Adam Peterson, her future husband. Moving back to Adam’s hometown of Montclair, NJ with their daughter was the natural next step in starting their dream of opening a school together, in the town that Adam loves so much. Karen is looking forward to sharing this dynamic martial art with you in a comfortable, fun, and ego free environment. All are welcome!
- Bronze IBJJF World Championship Purple Belt
- Silver IBJJF Pan American Championship Purple Belt
- Silver IBJJF World Championship Purple Belt
- Gold IBJJF Pan American Championship Purple Belt
- Silver IBJJF Pan American Championship Brown/Black Belt
- Silver Abu Dhabi Pro Trials brown/Black Belt
- Silver IBJJF New York Spring Open Black Belt
- Gold IBJJF New York Spring Open Black Belt
- Bronze IBJJF Masters World Championships Black Belt